Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Rodney and Rosanne


It was great to see former spouses Rodney Crowell and Rosanne Cash playing consecutive sets and guesting for each other. In Rodney's set, which was flopped with Rosanne's since her equipment arrived late, he invited her out midway through the set for a duet on her very first hit song, "No Memories Hangin' Round." Then she had Rodney join her for her finale "Seven Year Ache" and encore "Big River," the Johnny Cash hit.

They appeared to be very friendly with each other, though not overly affectionate. She introduced him as "my friend" and called him a gentleman for going on first. Looking on from stage right was Rosanne's current husband, John Leventhal, also her producer and lead guitartist and formerly Rodney's co-producer on his "Life Is Messy" album, which chronicled his breakup with Rosanne.

All a bit incestuous, but fun. I'm uncertain how Strawberry booker Charlie Cran pulled off the little reunion. I'd love to know whether the two performers agreed to do it in advance, or whether Charlie set it up on his own. As far as I have been able to determine from googling, this may have been the first time the two have performed together since they split in 1992. They both appeared at a tribute to Johnny Cash at the Ryman Auditorium in November 2003, but they did not sing together. (If I am wrong, I would love to have someone send me a citation to any previous joint appearance.)

My camera was acting up Friday night and I missed getting good shots of them together. The one here is courtesy of Bill Frater of Freight Train Boogie. In the photo, they are looking over at Leventhal while taking a bow to the audience.

No comments: