Friday, April 14, 2006

Catch the buzz on Live Roots Music

To capture roots music news and opinion from across the blogosphere, I've been playing around with an interesting new Internet news aggregator called The Personal Bee. It's still an experimental system, but I'm pleased enough with the results to make by own bee, Live Roots Music, available to the public.

The bee aggregates news feeds from about 20 suppliers of music news and opinion. As the editor, or beekeeper, I am able to select recommended articles and display them on top of my bee. So even though my feeds include content from non-roots genres and non-festival formats, I am able to feature content that is appropriate to my interests. Unfortunately, I am less able to manipulate one of the system's coolest features, its Buzziness index, which you'll find is too general to be really useful yet.

Hopefully, the Personal Bee technology will improve as it gets closer to commercial release. Meanwhile, Live Roots Music serves a useful purpose by collecting all the best of bluegrass, folk, and Americana-related festival news in one location. If you like what you see, you can register with the site to subscribe to my bee or select from 50 or so other bees available on subjects from politics to technology. Enjoy.

No comments: