Sunday, June 18, 2006

Del from the tent

I'm in the press tent waiting for an interview with Peter Rowan, but Del McCoury is ripping it up on stage. He's already done some favorites: Body and Soul, Nashville Cats. He opened with the Shawn Camp song, Traveling Teardrop Blues.

Each band member gets one solo turn (Ronnie wished Del a happy fathers day). Right now it is new bassist Alan Bartram on his solo vocal.

Backing up, highlights from Rowan and Rice:

The Vassar Clements song with great jamming and audience participation on the chorus. I saw this song performed for the first time six weeks ago at the Old Settlers Festivfal, where Rowan wrote it as a contribution to the Vassar Clements tribute. It was the perfect fit here, invoking another great hero from Telluride's history while giving the band a round of solo shots.

Great jamming throughout but especially on a Tony Rice medley.

Okay, I'm back having missed most of the Del set. I got a Peter Rowan interview and then needed to eat something. I've been hearing about the dumplings all weekend, and now I can vouch for Sisters Dumplings' combo platter, my pick for the best original food at the fest. Munching on those crispy Thai wontons while listening to Del doing 1952 Black Vincent Lightning will a personal memorable moment. The song, by Richard Thompson, is a favorite here as at most other places I've seen Del do it.

No comments: